Now, after this past weekend, you see this:
I had come to realize that a large space like that really needs something...larger. Simple logic really. I picked up 8 Ribba frames from our friends over at Ikea, and there they sat in their plastic in the corner for two months. Two Reasons - 1) I didn't know what to put in the frames (that wouldn't cost squillions of dollars) and 2) Ribba frames are notoriously horrible to frame and I couldn't face it.
I ended up just downloading and printing out some vintage botanical printables from The Graphics Fairy. They added the colour that the wall was really asking for.
As for hanging the Ribba frames, I learned of the old "screw in a paintstick" method from Kelly over at View along the way. Basically you stick a screw through a paint stick (just a little, not all the way), hang the Ribba frame on the screw, position, and then press lightly on the screw to make a little mark where you'll eventually hammer your nail in.
It turned what Ikea intended to be an afternoon of screaming, crying, and ultimately divorce into a pleasant little home improvement activity lasting no more than half an hour.
Oh and say hi to my new little friend, Piggy (aka breakable toddler bait). He can fly!